West Virginia Trucking Schools
When you are looking for many career options, you will find them with truck driving careers in West Virginia. Along with some beautiful mountains and caverns, you will find employers who are looking for qualified drivers.
A commercial driver’s license gives a person an opportunity to earn a living by driving a tractor-trailer or similar vehicle with a weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more. The individual can usually obtain employment-delivering goods to various companies in these large trucks. You must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least age 18.
- Have held an operator or junior operator license for at least two years.
- Have a valid class D license.
- Pass the same vision and/or physical standards and knowledge tests required for a CDL.
Potential drivers must also pass a medical examination to be eligible for licensing. The person must not have any drugs in his or her system. The person must also have above average vision and hearing as well as no serious medical conditions. Applicants who would like to operate a commercial vehicle only in West Virginia can apply for a medical waiver.
Once all steps are completed and tests are passed, you will receive your CDL instruction permit. There are a few things to remember:
- Your CDL instruction permit will only be valid for six months, and you can only renew it once during the two year period that follows the original issue date.
- If you still need your CDL instruction permit after the initial issue and renewal, you will have to reapply and re-test on the knowledge exams.
- You may only operate the commercial vehicle when you are accompanied by someone who holds a valid CDL, and that someone must be sitting in the seat next to you.
- Your permit must be valid for the type of vehicle you’re driving.
Once you have learned how to drive a commercial truck, the next step is to be ready to take the road tests. You must contact a third-party examiner (names and contact information for third-party examiners are on the CDL Manual).
You will provide the $75 exam fee and the vehicle you’ll use to test to the third-party examiner on the day of your exam. This vehicle must be representative of the class of license for which you are testing. Once you complete and pass the road skills exam, submit the passed form to the West Virginia DMV exam office or regional office. You will receive your CDL at this time.
Boone County Truck Driver Training
HC 81 Box 50B
Danville, WV 25053
Fred Eberle Tech Truck Driver Training
RR5 Box 2
Buckhannon, WV 26201
James Rumsey Technical Institute
3274 Hedgesville Rd.
Martinsburg, WV 25401
1120 US 35 N.
Fraziers Bottom, WV 25082
PIA Trucking Program
Ben Franklin Tech Center 500 28th St.
Dunbar, WV 25064
PIA Trucking Program
United Tech Center/ Route #3 Box 43C
Clarksburg, WV 26301