Rhode Island

Rhode Island Trucking Schools

Rhode Island has many truck driving careers, which can be very enticing. It may be the smallest state, but there is no shortage of career opportunities for you to look into.

Applying for a Class A driver’s license in Rhode Island will mean that the applicants must be 21 years of age or older. The one exception is if the applicants are not going to take their vehicles out of the state. In this case, they can be at least 18 years of age. These drivers must have been in possession of their driver’s licenses for two years, and they must not have been subject to suspensions or revocations. The third thing they will have to do is earn the medical examiner’s certificate.

In order to be able to qualify for a Class A driver’s license in Rhode Island, the applicants must have the following:

    • An Operator’s license
    • Proof that they are residents of the state of Rhode Island
    • Proof of their identities
    • A completed application for the CDL
    • The affidavit for the CDL history check
    • Passed the test of general knowledge
    • Passed the combination test
    • Passed the air brakes test
    • Passed the skills test

Applicants will take their written tests first. If they pass the written test, they are welcome to take the road test, and this will given to them by the Community College of Rhode Island. Upon passing the road test, they will receive a CDL permit.

On the day that Rhode Island applicants apply for their Class A driver’s licenses, they will need to make sure that they take their Social Security cards and their driver’s licenses issued by the state with them to the DMV. They will fill out the application at that time as well as present proof that they have passed the written test and the road test. If all has been completed, the DMV issues them a 60-day Class A license.

Various fees will apply when people are seeking their Class A driver’s licenses. One is the application fee that will be $11.50. They will need to pay a fee for each test they take, and this will be equal to $10.00 for every test.

Some people will need to add an endorsement to their Class A licenses that will allow them to perform extra duties. To add these endorsements, drivers will need to take another exam for the following:

    • HazMat
    • Passenger
    • School Bus
    • Tank Vehicles
    • HazMat/Tank Vehicle
    • Double/Triple Trailers

NTNWD Tractor Trailer Driving School
100 Washington Hwy
Smithfield, RI 02917