Montana Trucking Schools and Programs

Montana is famous for sprawling plains and stunning backdrops. Truck driving careers in Montana will allow you to access many of these sights and earn a significant salary at the same time.

Qualifying for the CDL means that Montana residents need to be 21 years of age. Those who are 18 years of age may apply, but they are subject to a few restrictions. These restrictions are:

    • They must not apply for an interstate CDL
    • They must not be applying to drive a double or a triple rig
    • They must not be driving a vehicle that requires placards stating that hazardous materials are present on the vehicle


The fees people will need to pay to obtain a CDL in Montana will depend on whether or not it is for intrastate or interstate purposes; it also depends on the person’s age.

The Necessary Documents

When applicants present themselves to apply for their CDLs, they will want to make sure that they take some identifying documents with them. These are their current Montana driver licenses, their Social Security cards and cash or check payments for their fees. Those who do not have the Class D driver license will need to have proof that they are legal residents of the country.

The Testing Process

The testing process begins with a written test. After studying the Montana Commercial Driver License Manual, applicants will have learned everything they need to know to pass this test. They can take the written test at any time without an appointment. After passing this test, they will take the skills test, and this test does require an appointment. During this test, they will demonstrate their knowledge of when their vehicles are unsafe to drive as well as their ability to safely maneuver the vehicle on the roads. After they take a vision test, the process will be complete.

To be eligible for a CDL, you must have a clean driving record. Federal regulations require you to pass a physical exam every two years. To operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce, you must be at least 21. Many states allow those as young as 18 to drive commercial vehicles within the state. You must be able to read and speak English well enough to read road signs, prepare reports, and communicate with the public and with law enforcement.

SAGE Truck Driving School
3044 Hesper Road
Billings, MT 59102

SAGE Truck Driving School
9350 Cartage Road
Missoula, MT 59808