New Mexico Trucking Schools
There are many companies, small and large, that are looking to hire truckers for their fleet throughout the state. Obtaining your Commercial Drivers License is the first step to accessing these careers.
To receive your CDL license in New Mexico, commercial drivers must train, take a written and skills test and be declared fit for the job, according to federal standards, by a medical doctor. There are also age restrictions; you must be at least 18 to be a commercial driver in New Mexico and 21 if you want to drive out of state.
To drive trucks in New Mexico, you need a Commercial Driver’s License. You need special skills that will keep you and other motorists safe. Here is some information to help you through the process.
You need a CDL in New Mexico if you:
- Drive a truck that weighs more than 26,000 pounds or that has a trailer, that with the truck, weighs 26,000 pounds or more
- Have a truck that has hazardous placards on it
- Will be driving a vehicle that carries 16 passengers or more
What endorsements do you need?
- Class A endorsement – for vehicles that have a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) over 26,000 pounds with a trailer that is over 10,000 pounds
- Class B endorsement – for trucks exceeding GCWR over 26,000 pounds with the trailer not exceeding 10,000 pounds
- Class C endorsement – for drivers who carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver) and for vehicles not covered by Class A or Class B that carry Hazardous Materials
What special knowledge exams are required?
- Hazardous Materials – drivers who carry hazardous materials in large amounts
- Passenger Transport – school bus drivers
- Doubles-Triples – drivers who want to pull more than one trailer
- Air Brakes – if your rig has air brakes on it
- Tankers – for those who will be hauling liquid in large amounts
- Combination – if you are planning to drive a combination of vehicles
What do the skills tests include?
- A hands-on exam to test your ability to keep your truck safe
- A control of vehicle test to see how you handle your vehicle
- An on the road test to see how you react in various driving situations
What does the Motor Vehicle Department require of you?
- Pass the MVD’s written exam, and all of the exams for special endorsements for your class vehicle
- A CDL learner’s permit (a valid CDL license from another state is acceptable)
- Pass the skills testing
When you have passed your testing
- Bring all documentation to the MVP, which includes test scores (in a sealed envelope)
- Medical exam reports
- Proof of identity, U.S. citizenship or Naturalization papers, or a permanent alien resident card
- Social Security Card
- Two proofs of residency in New Mexico
Albuquerque Tech Truck Driver Training
525 Buena Vista Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
Artesia Training Academy
3205 W. Main
Artesia, NM 88210
Clovis Comminity College
417 Shepps Blvd.
Clovis, NM 88101
Freeway Truck Driving School
2518 Coors Blvd SW
Albuquerque, NM 87121
301 Victory Lane
Sunland Park, NM 88063
Mesalands Community College
911 S. 10th St.
Tucumcari, NM 88401
MTA Dona Community College
2001 Copper Loop #11
Las Cruces, NM 88005
Rocky Mtn. TDS
3636 Menaul NE #327
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Western Truck School
150 Woodward Unit A
Albuquerque, NM 87107